Benefits and Potential Risks of Tart Cherry Juice
Have you heard about the benefits of tart cherries?
Read on to understand how beneficial tart cherries are and if you should consider adding them to your diet.
If you have never tasted or heard of tart cherries, then you are not alone. Sour cherries, or tart cherries, are smaller than your average Bing cherries and rich in antioxidants. Recent medical research suggests that tart cherries offer various health benefits ranging from better sleep to exercise recovery. Although additional research is needed, tart cherry juice improves overall health by reducing inflammation in the body. Tart cherry juice benefits are also the same as eating the fruit. It is equally rich in antioxidants and improves overall health by reducing inflammation in the body.
Nutritional Information of Tart Cherry Juice
Before you add tart cherries or their juice to your diet, let us take you through the nutritional information of tart cherries:
Tart cherry juice is a good source of:
One cup of tart cherry juice contains:
- 159 calories
- 0.8 grams of protein
- 1.5 grams of fat
- 36.9 grams of carbohydrates
- 0 grams of fiber
- 32.8 grams of sugar
Tart cherry juice is also a great source of potassium. Studies have shown that potassium can help keep the blood pressure in a healthy range and decrease the risk of a stroke. However, it is recommended to understand both tart cherry benefits and side effects before adding it to your diet.
Also Read: Long term effect of Covid19
Potential Health Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice
Tart cherry juice is a rich source of minerals and vitamins. However, it is essential to understand that what makes tart cherry so nutritious can also lead to certain complications for people with specific medical conditions.
Some of the health benefits of tart cherry juice include:
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Tart cherry juice comprises anthocyanins, anti-inflammatory compounds that help prevent certain chronic diseases.
These anti-inflammatory properties also aid in providing relief required by people who have arthritis. Studies indicate that tart cherries can reduce the stiffness and pain associated with joint pain disorders and arthritis.
- Exercise Recovery and Performance: Various studies have indicated that tart cherry juice aids substantially in reducing muscle pain and enhancing recovery after exercise. Besides, tart cherry juice can also improve the overall athletic performance of an individual. Research also shows that it could help improve endurance exercise performance due to its low glycemic index, anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidative capacity, and blood flow enhancing effects.
- Better Sleep: If you have insomnia, then tart cherry juice can help you get a good night’s sleep. This may be since tart cherry juice increases tryptophan (an essential amino acid) and your body’s melatonin production (a hormone associated with control of the sleep-wake cycle).
- Antioxidant Properties: Tart cherry juice helps to improve the oxidative stress on the body caused due to aging. Studies in older adults indicate that tart cherry juice enhances antioxidant defenses and decreases oxidative damage. This juice can also help to improve the cognitive abilities of older adults as it has antioxidant properties.
- Regulates metabolism and fights fat: Tart cherries can also help control and alter your body’s metabolism and your capacity to lose abdominal body fat.
Also Read: Intermittent fasting now you do now you Don’t
Even without its nutrients and antioxidants, cherry juice is deliciously refreshing. Thus, you can always try and replace sports drinks and sodas with this cherry drink that could make a difference to your health.
Potential Risks of Tart Cherry Juice
There are various benefits of tart cherry juice: however, as this juice comprises such powerful ingredients, one should consult with a health professional before consuming it. Consider the following points before you add tart cherry juice to your diet:
- Sugar Content: Tart cherry juice comprises sugar, and some brands of this juice may also contain added sugars. Thus, if you have diabetes or some other condition that could affect your blood sugar, then consult a health care professional before you start consuming tart cherry juice. If drinking tart cherry juice is not advisable, you can benefit from this fruit through capsule supplements.
- Medication Interactions: Tart cherry juice may also cause side effects on interacting with certain medications, such as medications used to manage cholesterol levels and blood pressure. Do consult with your doctor to understand if tart cherry juice can be consumed if you are on certain medications.
- Can I consume tart cherry products during pregnancy?
There have been no known side effects of tart cherry products on pregnant women. However, it is to recommended to speak with a health care expert for nutritional advice.
- Can individuals with diabetes consume tart cherry products?
The primary sugar in tart cherries is xylose, which has a low glycemic index. High-cholesterol and diabetic individuals mainly should consume foods with a low glycemic index. However, if you drink tart cherry juice, check the amount of added sugar, and seek advice from your health care provider.
- Are there any associated side effects with consuming tart cherry products?
It is recommended that individuals with known allergies to cherries or stone fruit, in general, consult their healthcare provider for specific advice.
- Can children consume tart cherry products?
Children can consume tart cherries as a fruit or as juice since it aids in promoting a balanced diet and active lifestyle. However, do ensure that your child is not allergic to cherries.
- Can tart cherry juice be mixed with a hot beverage?
Do not mix tart cherry products with a hot liquid as this could decrease the benefits of the concentrate.
Instagram/ Facebook/ Youtube/ Pinterest
Leave a Reply